Sharon will celebrate Halloween after all.
The Sharon Recreation and Departments and have Halloween events in the works for this Sunday, Selectman William Heitin told Sharon Patch in an e-mail tonight.
Monday morning, Sharon public safety officials canceled Halloween and opened a shelter.
Fire Chief James Wright said downed power lines and icy sidewalks prompted the Halloween decision.
"We are canceling trick-or-treating activities for this evening," Wright said outside the Sharon Town Offices, which are closed and without electricity.
A warming center initially was established at the community center at 18 Hixson Farm Road. The shelter has since moved to the Sharon Public Library's Cynthia B. Fox Community Room.
A second shelter, at , will open if the volume of emergency calls warrants it, Wright said. Anyone needing assistance should call the at 781-784-1587 or the at 781-784-1522, he said.
Wright said the majority of the town should have power by 11 tonight.
The is open, but its Internet access was down as recently as noon.
On its website, NSTAR reports that 3,069, or 46.1 percent, of its 6,652 Sharon customers were without power as of 8:30 a.m. Monday.
Electricity is expected to be restored by Wednesday evening.
Wright cautioned residents about using generators, noting the carbon monoxide threat.
"We've already taken two people to the hospital because of that," he said.