Steven Spielberg's film "Lincoln" led The Oscar hopefuls with 17 nominations, but Cambridge's own Ben Affleck was left off the list of hopeful for best director today when the list of nominees was announced.
The Huffington Post reports that the media was abuzz when neither Affleck, Tom Hooper ("Les Miserables") nor Katherine Bigelow ("Zero Dark Thirty") made the list for Best Director.
The trio's films did make the list of movies up for Best Picture, along with a host of others, including Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" and Ang Lee's "Life of Pi."
Best Actor nominees include former winners Daniel Day-Lewis ("Lincoln") and Denzel Washington ("Flight").
Jessica Chastain received a nod for her role in "Zero Dark Thirty," and will be up against Naomi Watts ("The Impossible") and Jennifer Lawrence ("Silver Linings Playbook") among others.
Did your favorite film and actor make the list of nominees? Who do you want to win? Share in the comment section below.
Here are the nominees for some of the top categories:
- "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- "Django Unchained"
- "Les Miserables"
- "Life of Pi"
- "Silver Linings Playbook"
- "Zero Dark Thirty"
- Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"
- Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"
- Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"
- Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"
- Denzel Washington, "Flight"
- Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"
- Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"
- Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"
- Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Naomi Watts, "The Impossible"
- Michael Haneke, "Amour"
- Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"
- Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"
- David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook"
For a complete list go to The Oscars website.