Another snowstorm is headed this way and will bring high winds and frigid temperatures with it.
Snow should begin this afternoon and will intensify overnight.
The National Weather Service is predicting 6-10 inches for the Sharon area. Cape Cod and the Islands are expected to get hardest hit by the storm with blizzard conditions and 10 to 14 inches of snow expected.
A potential problem with this storm is wind gusts. Late Tuesday night and Wednesday morning should see wind gusts close to 40 mph, which could lead to power outages.
The temperatures will also wreak havoc. Highs are not expected to get out of the teens this week.
Here’s what weather forecasters are predicting for us:
- National Weather Service: 6 to 10 inches
- Channel 4: 6 to 10 inches
- Channel 7: 5 to 8 inches
- Channel 25: 8 to 15 inches
Due to the snowstorm, the Sharon Public Schools will be closed on Wednesday, Jan. 22 Kindergarten registration will be rescheduled. The School Committee's Open Budget Forum will be rescheduled and the community will be notified of the new meeting date.
- Town Hall will open on Wednesday afternoon at noon.
- The Sharon Public Library will be open from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday
Stay Off the Roads
From the Sharon Police Department: We ask that you try to stay off the roads so the Sharon Police/Sharon Fire and DPW can all do their jobs. Also please do not park on the roadway or obstruct plows.
Parking Ban in Effect
No on-street parking will be allowed in Sharon from 6 p.m. on Tuesday, January 21st through noon on Wednesday, January 22nd.
Trash Pickup Delayed
Republic Services will not be collecting trash and recycling on Wednesday, Jan. 22 due to the storm. Wednesday’s trash and recycling will be collected on Thursday and collection will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week.
Cancellations and Postponements
To report a cancellation, leave us a note in the comments section.
- The Sharon High School boys' and girls' basketball games against Taunton scheduled for Tuesday night have been postponed. Both games will be made up on a date to be announced.
- All evening activities within the Sharon Public Schools are canceled for Tuesday night. A decision on if school will be delayed or canceled tomorrow has not been made.
- Tonight's Girl Scout Troop Formation Party at the Sharon Public Library has been canceled.
- The Massachusetts Trial Court has canceled First-day Jurors for
Wednesday, Jan. 22, in Norfolk County. For now, courts will be open in Norfolk County on Wednesday.
- Temple Sinai will close at 6 p.m. tonight and will not have evening classes.
- The Invensys Hockomock YMCA will close at 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday and will reopen at 7 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Due to the snowstorm and public school closures in our service area, all classes are canceled until 2pm. This includes group exercise classes, gymnastics, sports, swim, and enrichment classes.
- In case of an emergency, dial 911
- Sharon Police Department: (781) 784-1587
- Sharon Fire Department: (781) 784-1522
- NSTAR: 1 (800) 592-2000
- Comcast: 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278)
- Verizon: 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)