Sharon will celebrate Halloween after all.
Monday morning, Sharon public safety officials canceled Halloween and opened a shelter.
Fire Chief James Wright said downed power lines and icy sidewalks prompted the Halloween decision.
"We are canceling trick-or-treating activities for this evening," Wright said outside the Sharon Town Offices, which are closed and without electricity.
A warming center initially was established at the Sharon Housing Authority's community center at 18 Hixson Farm Road. The shelter has since moved to the Sharon Public Library's Cynthia B. Fox Community Room.
A second shelter, at Sharon High School, will open if the volume of emergency calls warrants it, Wright said. Anyone needing assistance should call the Sharon Police Department at 781-784-1587 or the Sharon Fire Department at 781-784-1522, he said.
Wright said the majority of the town should have power by 11 tonight.
The Sharon Public Library is open, but its Internet access was down as recently as noon.
On its website, NSTAR reports that 3,069, or 46.1 percent, of its 6,652 Sharon customers were without power as of 8:30 a.m. Monday.
Electricity is expected to be restored by Wednesday evening.
Wright cautioned residents about using generators, noting the carbon monoxide threat.
"We've already taken two people to the hospital because of that," he said.