5 Things You Need to Know About Sharon High's Football Playoff Game
The Sharon High football team will be playing Pembroke in their first playoff game at Braintree High Tuesday night.
1. GAME DAY-The 8-3 Sharon High football team will be playing 7-3 Pembroke Tuesday at 5:15 p.m. at Braintree High in the Division 3 playoffs. The winner will earn a spot in Saturday's Super Bowl against either Westwood or Wayland. Those two teams are playing at Reading High at 5:15 p.m.
2. NOT A FAN OF THE HOCK? Going back to last year's playoff games, Pembroke is 0-3 against Hockomock League teams. The Titans lost to Oliver Ames in the playoffs last year as the Tigers went to the Super Bowl before losing to Bedford. This year, Pembroke has already lost to OA, 28-6, and Stoughton, 27-7. The Eagles beat Stoughton, 16-14, but lost to Oliver Ames. 35-7. Before he took over as the Pembroke head coach Bob Bancroft was a legendary coach at Whitman-Hanson from 1975-2001. His Panther teams also had trouble against the Hock as they lost to Foxborough and North Attleboro in the playoffs.
3. THE YOUNG AND THE OLD-Sharon High head coach Dan Morse is one of the youngest coaches at 25, while Bancroft is one of the oldest coaches in the state. Bancroft played at Syracuse University in the 1968-69 as linebacker where two of his teammates were New York Giant head coach Tom Coughlin and NFL legend Larry Csonka. Bancroft is already in the Massachusetts Coach Hall of Fame.
4. WHAT TO WEAR? WHDH is calling for cloudy skies with some flurries by mid-morning. Could even be a period of light snow that drops a coating to an inch south of the Pike, away from the coast. Coast will see some drops mixed in. Mid 30s to 40. Read more: www1.whdh.com/weather/#ixzz2DNeBlQBn
5. WE'LL BE THERE-If you can't make it to the game, Sharon Patch will be providing live coverage of all of the action on Cover It Live. There will also be coverage of the other playoff games.
SCOUTING REPORT-Playoff game are 10-minute quarters, which makes more of a game of ball control, something the Eagles excel at. The Titans can be explosive with quarterback Cory Brandon throwing the ball and will present a challenge for the Sharon defense. How long and how often the Titans get the ball could be the difference in the outcome. With quarterback Sean O'Neil directing the attack, the Eagles have been very effective at moving the chains. If they can do that, make plans to watch another football game Saturday.