5 Things, Aug. 24: Mosquito Sparying, Back to School Information
Also today: Let us know if your favorite New England team is the Patriots and get information on a "Sunset Shabbat" service being held tonight.
Today's Weather: Skies will be mostly sunny in Sharon today with a high near 83 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
1. The New England Patriots are the region’s favorite team, according to a Boston Herald article this week. We're wondering if folks in Sharon agree. Let us know here.
2. All-Things Back to School: Are you ready go back-to-school? Sharon grades 1-12 will be going to back Wednesday, Aug. 29, while kindergarten will be starting Thursday, Aug. 30. Sharon teachers and staff will be back to work Aug. 27. The Sharon School Committee will be meeting Aug. 29 at 7 p.m. Sharon High School will be holding a Back-2-School Orientation for freshmen and new students Monday, Aug. 27, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the cafeteria and for parents and guardians from 6-7 p.m. in the auditorium. A "Meet the New Classmates" will be held at Sharon Middle School, Friday, Aug. 24 from 10-11 a.m.
2. Four Sharon residents are headed to Dean College this fall.
3. State officials announced Wednesday that the most recent round of aerial spraying cut Easton's mosquito population in half. In a related note, Sharon was told that a bird-bitting mosquito with EEE was found in town on Aug. 15. The town was notified on Aug. 21 and is at moderate risk level.
4. Ann Taber, owner the Ever So Humble Pie Company in East Walpole, said she has received over 2,000 emails since her situation was brought to light on the cover of last Wednesday's Boston Herald, mostly good, others "wishing [her] ill."
5. Temple Beth Abraham will hold a Sunset Shabbat from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 24 at Pequitside Farm in Canton. At 6 p.m., there will be a BBQ and summer games until 7:15 p.m., when the group will usher in Shabbat. The rabbi will lead the group in song and prayer. There will be dancing and singing, and kids will play musical instruments.